Monday, March 06, 2006

Olympink is finished

I finally finished my Olympic knitting, very late on Friday night. I washed and blocked, hoping it would be dry enough to put the zip in on Saturday and wear on Sunday and it was. Hooray! I meant to take some blocking pictures, but I was too impatient. But she's done now and I like her.

She did grow a bit in blocking, which I hadn't anticipated. She's not too big and I like the length of the sleeves, but I wish she was a bit tighter in the body. Maybe next time I wash her I'll reblock and try not to stretch her any more.


My dad took the pictures and the ones I liked best were the ones at interesting angles. Hmm. He also failed to mention the smear of toothpaste until afterwards. Oh well.

Here's a back view, so you can appreciate the double cable down the back. And the um, robot pose. I don't know why either.

Details:

Pattern: bpt from Knitty

Yarn: Vintage Jaeger Spiral Spun from my Grandma's stash. I used 550g of pink and about 150g of purple

Needles: 5mm circs and 4.5mm dpns

Modifications: I followed the pattern exactly up to the point the sleeves divide off from the body and then just followed what would make it fit. I changed the waist shaping at the side into waist darts. The arms felt too baggy, so I did the decreases more often than written. If I made this pattern again, I'd do some maths and make the arms smaller at the top by doing fewer increases along the raglan line on the sleeve side. I'm going to try this out on the next top-down raglan I make, probably Forecast.

I love cables! They're sort of magic, the way they look all messy when you do the cross-over and then they transform into beautiful sculptural curves. Limited pink yarn meant that the sleeves end in wide purple cuffs. The cunning thing about this that I discovered yesterday is that when I wear this hoodie with my bright red coat, the only bits that stick out are the purple bits, so I don't have a horrible red and pink clash. Unplanned, but clever!

5 comments:

Mary deB said...

Nice! I like the fitted shape, and the photos are classic!

Anonymous said...

The sweater is going to look great with your socks!! ;-)
Sockpal

Anonymous said...

Cute cute! I love it, and the color is so lovely on you!
I want to do forecast too, but OH LORD no bobbles for me. I love the color of the yarn on the model, though.

Anonymous said...

Where is the toothpaste smear? It passed me by!!!

Pig wot flies said...

I deliberately picked the pictures where it wasn't too obvious, but to me it sticks out a mile. Oh well, obviously being overly self-conscious.