Tuesday, May 30, 2006

ta da!


purple cotton cardigan, originally uploaded by the pig wot flies.

(Apologies for the state of the bathroom mirror.)

I present, the Time Traveller cardigan. Started 6 May 2006 while watching Dr Who, finished 27 May 2006, just after Dr Who, worn to work for the first time today.

Pattern: made it up as I went along. I swatched, I measured, I knitted, I ripped, I guessed, I did maths. Jenna Wilson's Knitty articles (part 1, part 2, and especially part 3) on the maths of set-in sleeves were very useful. I ended up with a vaguely 1940s sleeve top, which wasn't quite what I was going for, but I decided to keep it and try to work out how to make my next sleeves better.

Yarn: Araucania Nature Cotton, about 650g.

Needles: 6mm straights and a 5mm crochet hook for the edging and button holes.

Notes: This was a very quick knit, even though I reknit some of the pieces several times. Nature Cotton is lovely stuff, very soft (although this does mean it sheds fluff everywhere and I expect it's going to pill). I used metal needles because they're the only 6mms I have, but I think that helped. As usual, I had to look up how to crochet and it took me several attempts to get it right, but I think I actually ended up with something that's almost an official crochet stitch, even if I can't remember if it's single or double. (I think it depends which side of the Atlantic you're on). The buttons came from the bead and button shop in the Real McCoy Arcade in Exeter.

If I knit this again, I'd add some bust shaping and improve the armscyes and sleeve cap shaping. I'm please with the result though, I have what I wanted, a v-neck cotton cardigan for summer and I've learnt a lot about making things fit in the process.

5 comments:

Debs said...

Just right for this sort of weather. I like the buttons. Did you think of me and my ankle when you went to the button shop? I hurt it again on Sunday, just standing in the bathroom. Doh.

Anonymous said...

Are the arms short or are they rolled up. Looks great. i want one.

Pig wot flies said...

They are short.

Anonymous said...

Nice cardi, love the colour

Anonymous said...

Very cute! Matches the Boysenberry socks, too... ;-)

I wish I lived in a climate where a summer sweater made sense...here you need to be a nudist to deal with the heat, I suppose, but that's not an option for me! So I just swelter and stay inside in the air conditioning.