Monday, October 31, 2005

the sock is dead, long live mittens!

This is what I did to the sock.

dead sock

It wasn't working so I reduced it to yarn. I've started a guage swatch to prove to myself that that was the problem. When I've worked out what size needles I should be using, I'll start again.

In the meantime, here are some finished objects.

broad street mittens

Broad street mittens for my sister DP, looking a very bright pink in this photo.

Pattern: Broad street from knitty

Yarn: Angel sock yarn in Raspberry

Needles: 2.75mm and 3.25mm dpns

Modifications: none

Date: started 30 September 2005, finished 14 October 2005

These were almost finished when I joined Nona's Peaceful Palms knitalong, so they don't count, but these do.

black and white mitten

More Broad Street mittens in a mystery colour for my other sister HP. She knows I'm knitting her mittens, but wants the colour to be a surprise. I wanted to get these done by 5th November because I think they'd be perfect for wearing to a fireworks party, but unless I knit like a maniac in the next couple of days, that's not going to happen. They won't be long though, HP.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I just started making a pair of Broad Street gloves for my little sister, but a friend of mine who had made the pattern before advised me against the pattern because of "kamburger hands" - palms that are way to wideand poofy. Did you encounter this problem?

Pig wot flies said...

I think the palms fit OK. But I do have large-ish hands, someone with a slimmer hand might find there's too much there. What about starting with fewer stitches and then increasing on the opposite side to the thumb gusset until you've got the right number to start the fingers? Perhaps check the number of stitches on the fingers too. If you or the person you're knitting for has slender fingers, you might need fewer stitches there and therefore be able to reduce the number of stitches overall.

Pig wot flies said...

I've just checked my gauge and it looks more like 30 stitches to 10cm than 28, so that might have something to do with it.

Anonymous said...

I love my mittens, and several of the girls in year 2 have admired them when i've been out in the playground :-)