Monday, March 17, 2008

cushion for H


cushion front, originally uploaded by the pig wot flies.

Now that it's reached its intended recipient I can show you this.

The tree are from Leaves in Relief. I've loved this pattern ever since I saw it, but didn't think it would really suit me as a jumper. The tree pattern makes a beautiful cushion.

This is for my friend H. It's backed in green to match her colour scheme.

cushion back

Started: 10 March 2008. (Strictly speaking it was started on 7 March, but the first attempt came to a halt when I ran out of wool in that particular shade of off white. That's the trouble with going stash diving in a bag of various balls of unidentified off-white aran.)

Finished: 13 March 2008. (and that includes the sewing. I took it to work on Wednesday to work on in my breaks and then spent most of Thursday finishing it.)

Needles: 3.5mm circs.

It's more or less square. I left off the top leaves to make it a bit more square and then blocked it even squarer. A wet block would have done the job better, but I only had time to steam block. The edging is applied i-cord.

If I made this again I would swatch more thoroughly to make the panel properly square and calculate the right ratio for picking up stitches for the applied i-cord on the sides. Having said that, I'm really pleased with how this turned out and H likes it, so I'm happy. :-)

8 comments:

Rosie said...

I love it. What a fabulous design.

Octopus Knits said...

Beautiful, and great idea!

Anonymous said...

It always makes me go squee! when someone uses one of my patterns. Nice work! And yeah, I'm coming round to the conclusion that this sort of thing often works better as afghans or pillows than as clothing.

Debs said...

Check this out...
http://www.etsy.com/forums_thread.php?thread_id=5544153

Debs said...

I have pics of HP wearing your new creation. Do you want me to email them to you, or what?
love you.

Jeanette said...

Wow, what a great pillow. I want to make one for my house! How didja do it?

-Jeanette
knittybean.blogspot.com

Liz said...

That is so beautiful. I loved the idea, didn't like the sweater. I might well swipe that idea for a cushion of my own... Glad H likes it!!

korinthe said...

Hi,

I am planning to knit this as a wedding present and was wondering about the decreases. Do you think it would be wise to do some increases along the edges to maintain the overall width of the pillow?