Tuesday, August 01, 2006

psychedelic tigers


psychedelic tigers, originally uploaded by the pig wot flies.

Finished late last night, just in time for the end of July for Project Spectrum.

Pattern: Jaywalker (my third pair)

Yarn: Fyberspates Hand-dyed sock yarn

Needles: 2.5mm

Modifications: Started with 92 stitches, decreased to 78 after the heel by leaving out one set of increases and continuing to decrease the heel gussets until there were 36 stitches on the sole. This means I can get my feet into them, but they aren't too baggy on the foot, which was a problem with the first pair I made.

These socks remind me of an art project I did aged about 13. It was based around self-portraits and finiding an animal we thought expressed our personality. I chose a tiger. Not entirely sure why, I think a tabby cat might have been more appropriate. My favourite colour combination at the time was purple and yellow, so my final piece involved a self-portrait of me as a tiger, trying to snarl, done in purple and yellow stripes. Hmm. Anyway, that's why they're psychedelic tiger socks.

I'm intrigued by the way the yarn's pooled differently on each sock. It was one big 100g skein, but it's made the two socks look quite different, especially on the leg. Curious, but it's part of what makes them unique.

4 comments:

Debs said...

Cool, I love them.

Anonymous said...

I remember the tiger portrait. I like the socks.

Rosie said...

Cool socks, and I *love* the sheepy fabric in the background.

Pig wot flies said...

Thanks. It's a duvet cover, which came from BHS many moons ago, long before I got into knitting.