Tuesday, August 29, 2006

to Scotland, in search of wool

I'm back from beautiful Scotland. We stayed in two beautiful places - Laide, (on the West coast between Ullapool and Gairloch) and Kyleakin on the Isle of Skye (over the bridge and turn left). I wanted some local yarn to remind me of where we'd been. I'll show you what I bought tomorrow, but here's a picture of possibly the most remote yarn shop in Scotland. It's just North of Applecross, on the mainland near Skye and to get to it you first have to negotiate the terrifying Pass of the Cattle and then wind your way along single track roads with passing places past gorgeous views of sea and sky and heather. We were beginning to think it wasn't really there and then, there it was.

Unfortunately, I can't tell you whether it's worth the trip because it was Monday and it was closed. Looking at their website, the grey Gotland wool sounds interesting. Ah well, if anyone else goes that way, they can find out.

Also near Applecross was Angora Ecosse, further along the same road to the North. They had angora/merino yarn, some Shetland lace and natural dark brown Hebridean wool. I didn't buy any, since I didn't like the colours of the angora (too pastelly) and I couldn't think of anyone who'd appreciate a brown, slightly itchy wool jumper. Still slightly wish I'd got some Hebridean wool anyway.

Coming soon, the yarn I did buy and some knitting progress.

1 comment:

Alice said...

that's a yarn shop?

wow! amazing!!

I'll stop with the exclamation marks now. I need a holiday...