Monday, July 24, 2006

too hot to knit

And too busy. I'm busy at work, helping organise a conference and although I brought some socks, they've languished in my room unknit. Here's something I started at the weekend, in the 24 hours or so break between the end of the first week and beginning of the second. I was too tired to read or do much, but it was too hot to sleep during the day, so I knitted and found enough brain power to read instructions and charts. This is the Diamond Fantasy shawl by Sivia Harding. It's going to be a Christmas present for my grandma (who doesn't read my blog) whose monster stash I raided last Christmas. The yarn is HipKnits cashmere sock yarn in a greyish blue with purple bits, one of the cashmere club shades. It's a more subtle colour than I might have chosen myself, but it's grown on me. There's enough colour variation to be interesting without competing with the lace pattern.

It's fun watching the lace grow. Charted lace is so intuitive. I knitted the first part (chart A) from the written instructions, mostly because I was very tired and wanted to make sure I got it exactly right, but once I got to the main body of the pattern, following the chart was easier. I can see why people get hooked on lace knitting.

3 comments:

Rosie said...

it really is toto hot isn't it, but I get hot on your behalf every time I arrive at your blog and see you wrapped up in a red duffel coat. will you be at the Blue tomorrow night for the KTog? I'd love a closer look at the shawl!

Mary deB said...

Hmm, more purple!? That shawl looks great. I mean to start one of Sivia Harding's patterns one day!

Pig wot flies said...

Yeah, I keep meaning to update the picture to something more seasonal. Can't find a picture of myself that I like though. Unfortunately, I'm working until about 10 every night this week, so I'm not going to make it to the pub. I think it's going to take me a while to finish the shawl though, so I'm sure you'll get to see it sometime.