Thursday, October 27, 2005

the sock hates me

too small sock

too small sock
Originally uploaded by the pig wot flies

Yesterday, I got to the heel. I'd never done a proper top down heel before and I was admiring its construction - the ridges caused by doing a k1 sl1 reinforcing stitch, the neat way the gusset is formed by picking up stitches along the heel flap. Then I decided to try it on. It didn't fit. The zig zag stitches just aren't stretchy enough to go over my heel. I've already ripped this sock out once when I decided it was too big. I should have stuck with my extra big size, now I've got to start all over again.

I cast on while waiting for my computer to log me on (it takes forever) and decided to try this tubular cast on. Unfortunately, my computer not being on, I couldn't check that I'd got it right and when I did check, it was wrong (I knit into the provisionally cast on row instead of purling). I think it sort of worked out, but I wish I'd remembered it right. Then I had to turn k1 p1 ribbing into k2 p2 ribbing, which I did by crossing over pairs of stitches as suggested here. That took forever. Now I'm into the ribbing (which I hate knitting at the best of times). The edge looks neat, but I'm worried it's not stretchy enough.

I think I'm going to put this sock aside and start something else. Hopefully, the yarn I ordered for my sister HP's Broad Street mittens will have arrived when I get home and I can start them for Nona's Peaceful Palms knitalong. I've knitted one pair already, for my other sister DP, but they were nearly finished when the knitalong started, so they don't count.

No comments: