Tuesday, June 07, 2011

what I have been knitting

The Noro sock dilemma is still unresolved. But I have been knitting other socks. I jumped on the Yarn Harlot's bandwagon and made some Edwardian Boating socks.

Pretty pink socks for me!

They are very pretty.

I'm rather in love with the little Vs - like rowers on the river.

pink sock zig zags

Pattern: Edwardian Boating Socks (Rav link) by Emma Haigh.

Yarn: 1.33 skeins of Colinette Jitterbug in Alizarine.

Needles: 3mm circs and dpns.

Modifications: I added stitches to make the circumference 72 stitches instead of 64 by changing the linen stitch panels to 8 rather than 6 stitches. The heel flap, turn, gussets etc were adjusted accordingly.

Thoughts: Pretty pattern, and easy to memorise. Eats yarn though. Combined with the shortish yardage of Jitterbug, that mean one sock took 2/3 of a skein.
As written, the heel turn makes an 11 stitches wide rectangle, rather than the normal widening trapezium shape. I assumed this was a mistake and added in the missing k1/p1 after each ssk/p2tog.
It seems to be impossible to prevent Alizarine from pooling at some point. I like the narrow striping on the leg, less keen on the wider pooling/striping on the foot. The second skein (on the LH of the pic above) is noticeably brighter than the first and seemed to pool more.

So, on the whole I like them. That's one more pair of socks for winter wear and 1.33 fewer skeins of sock wool in my stash. Rob will be pleased. :)

1 comment:

Elly said...

you promised a pic of the new cardigan. I keep looking and hoping